Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Review of Steering Through Chaos

One thing that is evident above all else after reading Pastor Scott Wilson's book is that he is a man of character, who is after God's heart. He is not a pastor of a large church who is just telling you how they did it. He is a pastor who loves other pastors and people and wants to help them grow and become all that God wants them to be in order to further the Kingdom of God. I'm impressed with the continual reminder that all of this is for people and for God's Kingdom, it's not about us, we're just the conduit to bring real change and transformation to the people around us.
When I picked up this book the first thought that came to mind had nothing to do with, "Wow, this is gonna hurt." But, after reading the book I have been excited yet exhausted, overjoyed yet overwhelmed, motivated yet scared. My gut has been wrenched throughout this book. Coming to the realization again that "I" have allowed myself to direct my ministry rather than letting God direct it. You wonder how one book has caused all this in me.
1. I have been excited to see the path that Pastor Scott Wilson has traveled and enthusiastic to pursue it for my ministry as well, but exhausted by the thought of all that it requires. Steering any ministry, whether through chaos or calm, is going to be both exciting and exhausting. It is easy to forget the second. That it takes work, perseverance and patience and at times will be exhausting.
2. I have been overjoyed to read the successes of Pastor Wilson's church, but also of many other ministry leaders from across the country. It infuses me with energy and a desire to jump in and go after what God wants for me. But at the same time there is that overwhelming, gut wrenching feeling, that the job is too big, too difficult, too time consuming. But I'm reminded that none of those are true. The job is never too big, difficult or time consuming if it is God's job. Too often I have determined the path rather than letting God do it.
3. I am motivated to get out there and do what needs to be done. To make the tough choices in order to see our ministry grow and be most effective at reaching the lost. I want to see our ministry grow and really transform lives. But as motivation sets in, the fear of having to redirect a ministry leader into another area or away from their current ministry to another becomes painfully real.

All said, I have recommended this book to my Senior Pastor, board members and youth pastor of our church. I hope it will impact them the way it has impacted me. It has been life changing for me. I hope that I can apply all that I have learned from this book. Thank you Pastor Scott for taking the time to share with all of us.

Pastor David Rehn
Worship Pastor
First Assembly of God
Warrensburg, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment